Friday, January 14, 2011

PROFILE: Lady Maha (Part 1)

It was a tough assignment, perhaps the hardest any editor has handed to me. I was to interview international woman of mystery, Ms Maha Abdo.

Ms Abdo being held by one of her thousands of adoring fans. Photo by I Yusuf.

After numerous attempts, I was finally able to track her down in a small campsite in Victoria. Dressed in a pink outfit, she spoke through a baby interpreter.

"I don't do too many interviews these days," she said. "I'm in such great demand. Being a baby is not easy."

How so?

"Look, I was handed a job description as soon as I emerged from mummy's tummy that simply said 'Look Cute'. I imagined that's all I;d need to do, and I thought I had excelled at it. But now I'm expected to move from lap to lap, person to person, receiving kisses and silly smiles. Seriously, it's tiring stuff."

Does she ever tire of all this attention.

"Yes, it has its perks. I mean, it beats studying. It's not a terribly grueling schedule. Best of all, I get to do shut-eye without asking anyone's permission."

to be continued ...

No comments: